New PGA TOUR schedule?

Community Manager
Community Manager
A change in the schedule for Majors and THE PLAYERS to allow the FedEx to finish before the NFL gets started could be on the cards.

A new potential schedule could look like this:

Mar - THE PLAYERS
Apr - Masters
May - PGA Champ
Jun - US Open
July - The Open
Aug - FedEx Cup

Would you be in favor of this new schedule?

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'd love to see the Players move back to March. Sawgrass plays too firm in mid-May and I liked that event more when it was less of a grind and had more scoring.

On paper, I'm in favor of moving the PGA. Having one major per month from April through July, followed by the playoffs in August, would keep fan interest primed for the bulk of the golf season. I just worry about unpredictable May weather in northern states and how that would affect which courses could host the championship.

Close to home, there's no way Hazeltine, host of the 2002 and 2009 PGA Championships, could host a major tournament in May. The course is usually in fine shape this time of year, but we could get 85ºF and mild, or 45ºF with wind/rain within days. We just had these exact conditions happen last week.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager
Great points! But 85F to 45F?...what's wrong with that? Sounds just like a British Open! 😜

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
Koung
Occasional Contributor

I know the PGA would never come to Utah, but speaking in regards to weather we had snow just 2 weeks ago and it's been in the 70's ever since. Strange weather indeed.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Ryan wrote:
Great points! But 85F to 45F?...what's wrong with that? Sounds just like a British Open! 😜

Might be fun to watch, but it gets a little old when you're playing in those conditions. Had a state four-ball competition last weekend and spent 36 holes staring at the inside of my umbrella! (in addition to multiple layers plus rain gear...ugh! 😉)

PushCart.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DennisMiller
Contributor

I like the proposed changes, but as mentioned, March in Ponte Vedra has a chance of being colder than many pros and spectators would like. Hopefully, if they got a cold tournament, it wouldn't affect attandance, thus the charitible contribution, too badly.

0 Kudos