The Barclays Insights

Regular Contributor

We have @ChrisEdwards and @Orrrie out at Bethpage for the Barclays. 

If there is anything you would like to know about the venue or have questions for TM athletes, the guys will do their best to deliver!

Please reply with any requests.

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
jimmycoola
Occasional Contributor

I'd love to know if JD or DJ's warmup routine changes before the second round depending how they struck the ball during the first round. Like if they focus on one aspect they were missing the day before or anything like that

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@jimmycoola wrote:

I'd love to know if JD or DJ's warmup routine changes before the second round depending how they struck the ball during the first round. Like if they focus on one aspect they were missing the day before or anything like that

I'd be interested to hear that too. The foot soldiers are on it! Stay tuned. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We know players make adjustments to certain courses. Is Bethpage Black one of those? Any changes to staffers bags this week?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Ed_Settle wrote:

We know players make adjustments to certain courses. Is Bethpage Black one of those? Any changes to staffers bags this week?

It seems logical but its more infrequent than you'd think. Some guys will not like they way certain turf interacted with a wedge so they made come into the Tour Truck to gind that bit off of game a wedge with different bounce. 

We most commonly see equipment changes when fairways are really hard (more driving irons) or really soft (more rescues fairways). We'll let you know if we see any guys testing new clubs and then can definitely let you know what's in the bag for the Thursday start. 

Regular Contributor

It's probably too late for this week, but I'm always interested in learning more about how players prepare early in the week. How do they break down a course, especially when it's one like Bethpage that they haven't seen since 2012? Obviously finding lines off the tee is important, playing to possible hole locations, etc. But is there anything else they're thinking about and trying to learn that can help some of us better prepare when we play practice rounds before events?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@jll62 wrote:

It's probably too late for this week, but I'm always interested in learning more about how players prepare early in the week. How do they break down a course, especially when it's one like Bethpage that they haven't seen since 2012? Obviously finding lines off the tee is important, playing to possible hole locations, etc. But is there anything else they're thinking about and trying to learn that can help some of us better prepare when we play practice rounds before events?

@HurstyGolf Did just this for Michael Block in the PGA Champ this year. I believe he's caddied for a handful of PGA Tour events and could definitely speak to that process. Everyone's a little bit different. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Blocker wrote:

@jll62 wrote:

@HurstyGolf Did just this for Michael Block in the PGA Champ this year. I believe he's caddied for a handful of PGA Tour events and could definitely speak to that process. Everyone's a little bit different. 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

0 Kudos
HurstyGolf
Occasional Contributor

@jll62 wrote:

@Blocker wrote:

@jll62 wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

A lot goes into the prep before any TOUR event, but a lot is done by the caddy to map out and make a game plan for his player for every hole, what to hit off each tee, reinforcing lines each time they play a hole and making sure they are on the same page, essentially creating a game plan and sticking to it for the week. Map out specific yardages to bunkers/hazards/dog legs, etc. so you can have more information going into the round than you can imagine. A lot of amateurs who play in competitive events and qualifiers fail to do this, they play 1 practice round, generally play well in that practice round and hit a lot of fairways and greens so they don't see the trouble, rolling a few putts to each spot on the green and off they go. Terrible use of time. But, there is NO pressure in a practice round, you aren't keeping score, if you hit a ball offline you grab another one, this is where the mistakes in prep happen. Pros want to know of every possible scenario prior to playing a hole so if something happens during the round, they don't panic, they know a layup yardage if they're out of position, they know what to expect ahead of time. Prepping as a caddy for big TOUR events definitely helped me prep for my events as a player in a much better way. I'll map out each hole and hit a few clubs off the hole depending on the shape/yardage/tightness/etc. just so I know what that club will leave me into the green should I choose to play it. Always bring some type of note pad or scorecard if they don't have yardage books to take notes on what you learned, if you don't write it down you probably won't remember the subtle keys to the hole when it is game time and the nerves are pumping.

Greens: It's hard to predict where pin positions will be in an amateur event because they are usually 1 or 2 days, whereas on TOUR they plan for 4 rounds and can look back at prior years to get a feel for it. Just try to hit a few lengthy putts to each corner of the green to get speed dialed in, noticing big ridges and slopes and make sure you write them down so you can remember. Ex. Ridge runs through right center of green in line with back bunker, keep it on the proper side. This is something I would have in my book to remind myself or remind Block (player I caddy for) just as a little light bulb to myself and a quick tip. Not too detailed, but important info.

If you prepare properly, all you need to do is execute since there is no questions about what to do on each hole or how the course will play. The best player in the world talks about it more than anyone else, as did Tiger, and so did Nicklaus.

Hope this helps in your next event!

Social Media | TaylorMade Golf
@HurstyGolf
HillaryWyse
Occasional Contributor

Obviously players take all tournaments seriously and always want to do well, but is there a different general feeling surrounding the FedEx Cup Playoffs?  I know in other sports, the playoffs are very much the pinnacle of the season.  I feel like that's slightly different in golf because of the Majors, but do players tend to feel more pressure heading into the Barclays for this reason?

Best of luck to all the TMaG guys at Bethpage over the next four rounds!