Introduce Yourself

Soley22
Occasional Visitor

Hey guys! Looks like I'm a little late to the party.. My name is Klayton and I am a former college baseball player turned golfer from Arkansas. My whole life up to the age of 22 was devoted to baseball until injury reared its ugly head. Luckily it doesn't affect my ability to play golf as that is the hobby I have poured all of my dedication into. I am now 24 years old and just this year I quit my job and started my own business to allow me to pursue golf nearly full-time. I know its a long, arduous road to the tour and there are plenty of people that have a head start on me but I'd rather give it my all now than regret never trying in my later years. In two seasons of seriously playing and learning I am now down to a handicap of 3.2 and working hard to improve. 

I really look forward to discussions with all of you and I'm ecstatic to be able to help out Taylormade in anyway possible as they have always been an industry leader when it comes to customer service and satisfaction. 

Reddit: Soley22
Twitter: klaytonsolberg
AMHolz24
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm Ashton. I'm 22 and just finished my degree. I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I played golf in college and am a huge fan of the game. I'm extremely lucky to have lots of ties to the Kohler community and actually have the opportunity to play the Kohler courses (Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run) about once a week, depending on availability. If any of you are in the area, reach out to me and if possible, I'd love to get you out on the course for a free round!

I'm currently employed at a local sporting goods store, but am looking to branch out. I finished school with a degree in communication and computer science so I'm interested in quite a lot of areas. { I feel like I'm filling out another application so I'll leave it at thatSmiley Happy .} In the winters I enjoy snowboarding, but am hoping to find a place that fits in the budget to keep my swing grooved for the winter, since I no longer get free access through the golf team.

Looking forward to discussing more with some of you!

lentscher
Occasional Contributor

Josh, 

Any good stories from being a looper? Also, when watching the pros, either in your job now or as a caddie, what thing stuck out to you the most? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what do you see in them that puts them in that next level compared to the large group of people who are low handicap/scratch golfers that never make it to that next level?

Any good pointers guys have given you that really stick out?

0 Kudos
lentscher
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ashton, 

Good to see some other WI natives on here! Jealous that you get to play the Kohler courses on a regular basis. I'm from Beaver Dam, and got to play Black Wolf and Whistling Straights a couple times in high school. I live out in Washington state now but make it back to WI a couple times a summer. What's your favorite course to play out there? What do you consider your "home course"? Have you had a chance to play Erin Hills at all?

0 Kudos
AMHolz24
Occasional Contributor

I've never actually had the chance to play Erin Hills. 

I think my favorite of the 4 Kohler courses is the River, but the Straits is right there. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I would say my home course is The Bull at Pinehurst Farms. It was our teams home course and what I play most often. I haven't been able to play it as much recently since I don't get free greens fees anymore, but it's what I'm most familiar with!

Regular Contributor

@AMHolz24 wrote:

I've never actually had the chance to play Erin Hills. 

I think my favorite of the 4 Kohler courses is the River, but the Straits is right there. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I would say my home course is The Bull at Pinehurst Farms. It was our teams home course and what I play most often. I haven't been able to play it as much recently since I don't get free greens fees anymore, but it's what I'm most familiar with!

Last year we did some content capture for the PGA Champ at Whistling. We crashed at Blue Harbor in Sheboygan and played Black Wolf and Whistling. Wanted to hit the Bull and Erin Hills but ran out of time. I've been fortunate to hit a lot of golfing destinations and I'd easily put Kholer in my top 3 for buddy golf trip destinations. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
HurstyGolf
Occasional Contributor

@AMHolz24 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm Ashton. I'm 22 and just finished my degree. I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I played golf in college and am a huge fan of the game. I'm extremely lucky to have lots of ties to the Kohler community and actually have the opportunity to play the Kohler courses (Whistling Straits/Blackwolf Run) about once a week, depending on availability. If any of you are in the area, reach out to me and if possible, I'd love to get you out on the course for a free round!

I'm currently employed at a local sporting goods store, but am looking to branch out. I finished school with a degree in communication and computer science so I'm interested in quite a lot of areas. { I feel like I'm filling out another application so I'll leave it at thatSmiley Happy .} In the winters I enjoy snowboarding, but am hoping to find a place that fits in the budget to keep my swing grooved for the winter, since I no longer get free access through the golf team.

Looking forward to discussing more with some of you!

Definitely jealous that you get to play Whistling/Black Wolf Run on the reg! Which track is your favorite?

Social Media | TaylorMade Golf
@HurstyGolf
0 Kudos
HurstyGolf
Occasional Contributor

@lentscher wrote:

Josh, 

Any good stories from being a looper? Also, when watching the pros, either in your job now or as a caddie, what thing stuck out to you the most? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what do you see in them that puts them in that next level compared to the large group of people who are low handicap/scratch golfers that never make it to that next level?

Any good pointers guys have given you that really stick out?

Definitely watching Bubba for 18 holes up close and personal at The Farmers on the weekend in 2013 was an eye-opener. Never seen anyone play golf like that before and I've been around some incredible players, he is a freak. He hit this chip shot after missing the green long right on hole #1 at Torrey South that I'll never forget. It went about 50 feet in the air and only carried maybe 10 yards and rolled 2 feet for a tap in par. I thought there was no chance he'd save par with how tough that shot looked. He's unreal...aaaand he's never had a lesson in his life, that blows my mind.

But really just being inside the ropes and strategically mapping out a golf course is great advice I'd give to anyone trying to improve. You don't need to rip driver on every hole (i.e Jason Day and his 2-iron). If you go watch the top pros play they know the exact yardage to every single Tree/Bunker/Hazard on every hole, which is the caddy (my) responsibility, they want to know every single finite detail and you always need to be 2 steps ahead of them. Factoring in every possible outcome to pick out the best possible route to make birdie/par on each hole is crucial to playing consistent golf and posting low numbers on TOUR.

Biggest difference between great golfers (scratch or better) and PGA members: This one is pretty easy - Their miss is sooo much smaller, It's literally maybe 10 yards off the fairway at worst and that doesn't even happen often, whereas myself or other really good players I tee it up with have a larger miss when we're not on that leads to double bogeys and round killers. The pro's will post a 70 at worst on an off-day on a normal PGA TOUR course where a scratch player will post about 76-78 on there off day. HUGE difference.

Hope this was what you were looking for!

Cheers

Social Media | TaylorMade Golf
@HurstyGolf
Primetime7
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys. My names Rick and I live in Pittsburgh. Less than 4 miles from Historic Oakmont CC. Im 30 years old and get out and swing the sticks twice a week. Id play more but I recently got engaged. Well I shouldnt have to explain anymore about that. I graduated from Marietta College in 2008 with a Buisness Degree. While attending I played 2 collegiate sports. Doing so provided me the privaledge of pitching for a National Championship winning team. Im getting married August of next year. I have worked every type of job you can imagine in my young life. From insurance to waiting tables. I recently got into the Local 3 iron workers union. Thats where I currently stand in my career. I am a huge motorcycle fan. If im not golfing or hitting range balls. Im putting miles on my sport bike. I like hanging out with my fiance and my family. I also really really really enjoy a nice cold craft beer.

About my golf game:

I fell in love with golf around the age of 12. My Dad would take me out and we would play the worlds longest 9 holes. Imagine teeball length games. I took sometime off due to other organized sports. Football, Baseball, and Hockey. It wasnt untill my Sophmore year that I started playing again. My father got sick and was never really the same after. I started using his old TM bubble graphite shafts. I played well and fell back in love. I used all my summer savings and bought a new set of TM RAC HT irons. Golf took off for me. At one point my HC was down to 14. Sadly they were stolen. Ive scavenged clubs from friends and bought used. Although they arnt the best looking set out there. They get the job done.

Thats a little about me. Hope to meet more of you. Please excuse my terrible grammar.

Cheers,

Rick.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Hey guys,

I was having problems trying to access using my Android devices but I've finally figured it out. My name is Shaun and I'm 36 years old and have been golfing poorly for a couple decades. I finally got serious a year ago and started taking lessons and practicing a couple times a week. I've dropped my scores by 20 strokes and am now working to break 80. I've been a big fan of Taylormade ever since their early metal drivers. Up until recently I had a ton of success with a SLDR 430 driver with a 14 degree SLDR mini driver as a 3 wood replacement. I'm now gaming an M2 that I love and has given me a lot more distance but I need to work on my consistency. At the top of my list of clubs to try out are the M2 fairway 3 wood and the PSI forged irons!