M5/M6 Contest

Highlighted
bdrake25
New Contributor

Just got an email in saying I won a free iron! Looking forward to trying out either the M5 or M6 iron (can't remember which I chose, I believe the M6.)

Will post a review once I get to try it out!Taylormade.jpg

Siriusman12
New Contributor
Congrats! Look forward to hearing the results.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Congrats on being selected. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and if they end up being the right irons for your game.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
naragan

I just got an email saying I was selected as well. I'm extremely interested and in the market for a new set of irons. Problem is I just changed address. How do I ensure it gets sent to the right place?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
I got an email today as well that I was selected. I chose the M5 when I signed up. I am excited to compare the M5 to the P790 set that I game now. I played the M2 Tour irons for a few years before moving into the P790s, so the M5 should be a comparable iron to the M2 Tour. I have been liking the switch to the forged face in the P790, so it will be interesting to compare it to a cast iron again.

I will be sure to post updates next week after I get a chance to try it out on the course.

Thanks again TaylorMade.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

So today I received my M5 7 iron as part of the #SpeedBridgeChallenge. The M5 iron is stunningly clean, and sits very nice at address. My previous thoughts (before receiving the club) were that the topline would be too thick, and it would look to much like a game improvement iron to me. Those thoughts are now gone having seen it in person and comparing to my P790 gamers. I have attached some in-hand, side-by-side photos below showing the face, cavity, sole, and top line comparisons.

When looking the clubs over, the M5 seems slightly bigger than the P790 all around, but not by much. To me, the satin finish of the P790 as well as the 7 text and placement are more appealing than the M5 iron. This is just personal preference though, as it obviously does not affect performance. The M5 also utilizes on white bottom groove, which I have never needed to get used to as my previous 2 sets of TM irons did not have these. 

I will be heading to the range in the next day or two to compare these clubs side by side to get some distances and flight information. I am excited to see what the Speed Bridge technology can do for me game. I have always been a high ball flight player, so I have a few concerns that I may have issues in the wind if I go much higher. The m5 iron is 1/4" longer standard, so that should add distance as well. Stay tuned for updates. Looking forward to feedback from all others selected for the #SpeedBridgeChallenge

IMG_2061.jpgIMG_2062.jpgIMG_2060.jpgIMG_2063.jpg

#TeamTaylorMade
Regular Contributor

So today, I was able to get to the range to test out the M5 7 iron against the P790s that I currently game.

At address, the M5 looks slightly large than the P790s to me, but certainly does not look big at all. The M5 iron is very confidence inspiring. The performance of these irons were pretty incredible. The ball just rockets off the face, gets up, and goes. I found that I had around 5 yards longer distance than my P790 7i, with slightly higher flight, and much straighter. I had a harder time working the ball than I do with my P790s, and that the M5 irons wanted to go straight and long. I also found that miss hits were much less noticeable with the M5, and there was a loss of strike feedback as the overall face feel was a touch softer.

These irons reminded me a lot of my previous M2 Tour irons in terms of feel and flight. The M2 Tours were my favorite TM irons of all time before switching to the P790s.

When all things were considered, the P790 irons win out over the M5 for flight, feel, feedback, and distance. The M5 irons were longer, but that may change my gaps some, and I am perfectly set right now for distances with my P790s.

The results of my test are in no way a negative to the M5 irons. I am just at a point in my game, as a 6 HDCP, that I want what the P790 offers, more than the M5.

I will be recommending that my playing partners, as well as a few family members take this iron and try it to see how Speed Bridge technology can help their game. #SpeedBridgeChallenge

IMG_2067.jpgIMG_2068.jpg

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
GalloPinto
New Contributor

I was lucky enough to be mailed a M6 iron. This 7 iron looks sharp and plays true. The forgiveness and launch are a big plus (the M5 looks more like a players iron). The ball comes off the face smooth. Dead center strikes are plush, and I'm sure the off center hits from the face is where the forgiveness will come in more. 

The sight lines are to be as expected. It looks sharp from the top and not overly too big. The speed groove on the sole is there. There is are small grooves in the hozel that I'm not sure about why they're there. The secret is in the details.

sent from the Mars Rover
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@GalloPinto - Great to hear that you had a good experience with the M6 7 iron. Did you see added distance over your current clubs?

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
GalloPinto
New Contributor

The M6 played about 4-8 yards longer than what I usually play. The size is a bit longer and the head a bit larger but ou wouldn't know it from looking at it at address. The strikes from the fairway were smooth and plush. The ball flight was always high. My playing partner used it as well and he was impressed. The increased distance was something he eally liked. Its easy to feel the forgiveness and see the results.

sent from the Mars Rover
0 Kudos