MG2 Wedges

Hallsy24
Occasional Contributor

any body get their mg2 wedges yet? what are your thoughts? i cant wait to get mine in my hands

Highlighted
Super Contributor
I have not ordered a new set as of yet, and haven’t gotten down to the shop to see them in person yet. When you get yours in hand, let us know your thoughts and how they look!

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Biggest thing I noticed was a slight difference in feel compared with the original Milled Grind. The MG2 sounds/feels more solid, with less "click" at impact. It's a subtle change, but I like it.

The raw face with finish on the toe and hosel is going to take a little getting used to from a visual standpoint. I currently play a raw MG 52 and the MG2 52 looks a little weird to my eye coming from a full raw face. I'm sure it will be fine once I put the MG2 in the bag full time, however. Just something I need a little time with.

Super Contributor
@jll62 - really glad to hear the MG2 is less clicky. I have always thought the same about the MG, was a bit to get used to at first, but over time it just became normal. It’s not a huge problem, but looking forward to the MG2 for a little more solid feeling at impact.

I am curious to see the raw finish in person. From the photos others are posting, I really like the look of the rusty face but wonder how I will adjust. I went with the bronze MG wedge originally cause I loved that color, but soon switched to the chrome 50/54 as I found it hard to see the face through impact for touch shots around the green. For me the bronze finish was too dark and I couldn’t focus on it like I wanted to. Made the switch back to chrome and that problem went away for me. Might not seem like a big deal, but the color was just personal preference at that point.

#TeamTaylorMade
CoachTP5
Occasional Contributor

I got mine and love them.  I like the drop and stop they have on approach shots.  Also, i have seen several spin back and sideways on the greens. I've never been a player that spun wedges but with these I am seeing the ball do things I have not seen before.  These will be a great addition to the bag.  I have the MG2 50& 54 degree chrome finish and they look awesome too.  Just ready to see the spin I get when the face rust!!! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Hallsy24 some good responses here already but I'll throw my two cents in. I think a few of the guys above hit it on the head in terms of feel/sound, which for me is one of the biggest differences between MG2 and MG1. The MG2 feels MUCH softer, especially on full shots. The shape at address is a bit more rounded (to my eye) and there is a noticeable increase in spin. Granted, it's a new club with new grooves. But the spin is pretty remarkable. Didn't think I'd be a fan of the raw face, but it's growing on me. The contrast between the face and the rest of the club looks pretty sharp. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
- thanks for your input with the new wedges. Good to see the feel was addressed as well as the better spin. As far as the ball goes, does the new face (before or after rusting) have any negative effects on the cover? I have not had any issues with MG1 and ball durability, but have seen wedges in the past that have been marketed as high spin mark up and skim the ball cover. This goes to the extent of seeing a bunch of ball cover in the grooves after the shot.

As soon as the local course has these in stock I plan on getting them out there for test. Really looking forward to them.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Hallsy24
Occasional Contributor

I was able to get 2 rounds in this past weekend with them and much like some of you have mentioned, they were definitely less clicky sounding that the original MG's. I like to use my 56 for a variety of shots inside 100 yds and have developed pretty good touch with it and thought that I was seeing results with the 56 immediately. Conditions in the Chicago area this past weekend were pretty soggy but I did not have any issues with the leading edges digging into the ground. If you're on the fence about getting these wedges, definitely try them out.

Hallsy24
Occasional Contributor

after hitting a handful of different types of shots through 2 rounds (full, pitch, flop, chip) I did not have any issues from the grooves digging into the ball and cutting them up and that is something i always worry about as i have seen buddies of mine tear apart covers with their grooves.