P790 or P770?

Highlighted
Handicap9
New Contributor

Hi guys,

I’m from europe (Netherlands) and recently joined this community. If theEnglish isn’t correct sometimes I appologize in advance 😉. I hope u can share some experience with me, I’m not na expert in golf equipement and most of you are, after reading a few topics. 

Let me start telling you what kind of player I am. I have handicap 9 and play most of the rounds somewhere in the mid 80s. Currently I’m playing with the Ping I15 greendots. I really dont know the quality of these clubs, but I know I definately mis distance I think with my irons. My 5 iron I hit 165 the 6 155 and the 7 145. I dont think anything is wrong with my swingspeed, because I hit my driver (M4) 250 yards, my 5 wood (M2 18deg) 210 yards. From nature I hit draws more often then fades, but I will be happy with straight shots and I’m not good enough (yet) to give different ball flights to my shots, although I will take some lessons to learn this.

I’m getting a TM fitting in july 6 and try to prepare myself for this. I’ve been watching the reviews on the 770 and the 790 (clubs I think will be in me range..?). I like the distancethe 790 provides, but are they also giving the feedback in shots, like the 770, which lack distance (for me probably). Maybe it is possible to get the longer irons from 790 and the shorter irons from the 770? I know the fitter will tell me what is best for me, but I dont know the quality from the fitter 😉. I hope you can share some advice and experience with the clubs. Will the 790 or 770 be a next step from me current Ping I 15?

Thx in advance!

0 Kudos
NM
Occasional Contributor

Your English is better than most of the people I play golf with, and they are all English ! I am sure somebody on this site can help you with that, I play RSI 1's and love them. Good Luck

0 Kudos
TPfore84
Occasional Contributor

I can only speak for the 790s because I have them myself, but they are by far the best irons ive had in a long time. I have them 3-PW with Modus3 shafts which for me is an incredible pairing. My 3,4 iron are Modus3 105X and my 5-PW are Modus3 120S. The gapping took me a bit to get used to, but I just changed out my SLDR 3HL for an M4 3 15* and then added a 50* MG wedge to go with my 54* and 58* MG wedges that i already had. The 3 and 4 iron are by far the easiest long irons to hit that Ive ever had. Even when i catch it a little off the sweet spot the ball still rockets off the face. Id say i gained about 15-20 yards with the 790 3/4 iron compared to what i was playing before. I can on average hit the 790 3 iron about 220 and if i really step on it, i can get it to go about 230. Everyone is going to be a little different so i would definately wait to see how the fitting goes. But i can say with pure confidence that every iron in the 790 set is incredible. If i was able to play more i most likely would have done a mix set of 790 (3,4), 770 (5,6,7) and 730 (8,9,PW) all with Modus3 105X shafts. But since i only play a couple times a month i just wanted something that still looked amazing at address, that was forged and gave me forgiveness and the P790 does all the above perfectly!

0 Kudos
Handicap9
New Contributor

Thx for sharing your P790 experience with me! I’m looping forward to the fitting session I will have in two weeks and see what suits me the best.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hope this reaches you in time for your fitting tomorrow. Ultimately the 770s will be a more advanced set that you could struggle but also advance with. Can't really go wrong with the 790s, especially if you're looking for a little more distance. Based on your handicap and the other information you've provided, I'd say 790s all the way.

Last note, I've been fit into some almost blade-ish (very advanced) irons before because I was hitting it great during my fitting. If I purchased those clubs, I'd be absolutely miserable during my bad ball-striking days which are more common that not. 

Best of luck!

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Handicap9
New Contributor

Thx Allan!

Very excited for tomorrow, I will try them both. I like the spin om the 770 for more stopping power and obviously the 790 has less, I’m curious about the difference tomorrow. I wonder what handicap the 790 players have, from what I read it’s higher than single digit, and I still want to go down.... I will talk it over with the TM guy tomorrow. I will let you guys know.

All of you thx again!

0 Kudos
coalcreek

I play a links style course where it is very windy will I be able to keep my ball flight low with the P790 or are the P770 a better club for control?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'd say 790s are a safer bet in the wind because they have less spin. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos