Why so much hate?

Koung
Occasional Contributor

Why does there seem to be so much hate for TaylorMade among the golf communities? Every time I see someone mention they have TM irons someone immediately has to quip about how the 4i is lofted to 12 degrees and has a stronger loft than their driver, but Mizuno's new JPX 900 series has some pretty strong lofts and Callaway's GI lines have pretty similar as well, but nobody seems to care? Is it because TM is (arguably?) the largest so therefore gets more hate? Anybody have insights? I get buried every time I mention something on Reddit.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

There are a lot of factors, but I think much of it stems from two primary issues that occurred during the early part of the decade. First, TaylorMade earned a less than sunny reputation for pumping out driver-after-driver before the market was ready for them. A lot of folks got annoyed when the new driver they bought 2 months prior was now on the clearance rack at a significant discount. It's a little irrational since their driver wasn't obsoleted by the new one, but people are not rational when it comes to spending money.

Second, the marketing blitz touting more distance with every release rubbed many traditionalists the wrong way (as did some of the product names). Many folks panned the +17 campaign for Rocketballz, but it seemed like the "-IER" campaign for the RBZ Stage 2 metal woods was the final straw for a lot of people. I loved both products and the marketing (-IER was funny), but there are many people who just want equipment companies to be boring (ala Mizuno or Titleist).

Even though TaylorMade has done a great job at revamping their product release cycle in the last couple of years and the marketing campaigns have become much more refined, there is a large contingent of online community members who will forever remain very vocal in their hate and it will manifest itself everywhere. Facts won't matter. When discussing "jacked up lofts," the reason behind the designs won't matter to them. If you support TM, you end up looking like a brand homer. So be it.

Frequent Contributor
I've often found in business that you only get that large amount of haters when you are doing something correct. Look at the top athletes.. There's an even mix of people who love and hate them. It comes with success. Most of the guys I play with have mixed bags and play with what works for them.
DennisMiller
Contributor

I agress with all of the above and have heard all of it expressed more than once. In the case of criticism for TM, I've also heard retailers complain that the too frequent introductions of new products hurt their sales and they had to sell 6 month old inventory at deep discounts that heavily diluted budgeted profit margins.

I'll prosecute one idea I think leads to people complaining about their clubs in general, and I see a lot of this because my height makes people want to know if my clubs are specially made. (They are) How often do you see people play clubs that are poorly fitted for them, either by what we think of as fitting by length, lie, shaft flex and grip size, or by fitting as in playing a style of iron they should or shouldn't?  I know a 12 handicapper who still plays pure blades a lot of tour pros wouldn't bother with anymore. I'm sure he could around a 5-6 handicapper if he would just use any brand's first level of game improvement irons. When he complains that Callaway makes clubs that feel so hard, you just can't get him to admit he's using the wrong clubs. I hear quite a few complaints from that sector of the market.

HandyManny
Occasional Contributor
I can say for sure the reason I have seen so much "hate" towards TM is because of the frequent new equipment releases. It bothers golfers that they buy what is supposed to be the latest and greatest club out, and then some short time later, the next one is already coming to the market. What they thought was the hottest can be perceived as old because the hype for new released equipment is already beginning. Although I have never had an issue with it, this is my perception and knowledge of why the "hate" exist.
0 Kudos
Tyson

Hi Koung

I am new here and just looked at what you wrote. i just think it is normal for someone to think he has the better set. 

0 Kudos